an emerging, missional Christian community in the Scranton, PA area:
rooted in the Episcopal Church, welcoming all.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Jesus Camp

I remember seeing something about Jesus Camp on Good Morning America some time ago. And recently my friend Sarah blogged about her experience seeing the film with friends. This compelled me to check out the trailer. It's subject? From the film's website:

    A growing number of Evangelical Christians believe there is a revival underway in America that requires Christian youth to assume leadership roles in advocating the causes of their religious movement.

    Jesus Camp follows a group of young children to Pastor Becky Fischer's "Kids on Fire Summer Camp," where kids are taught to be dedicated Christian soldiers in God's army and are schooled in how to take back America for Christ. The film is a first-ever look into an intense training ground that recruits born-again Christian children to become an active part of America's political future.
It scares me.

Some quotes from the trailer:

    "There are two kinds of people in the world: people who love Jesus, and people who don't."

    "I've got Jesus, yes I do. I've got Jesus, how 'bout you?"
    - pep rally-style, back and forth cheer

    "I really feel that we're a key generation to Jesus coming back." - spoken by an ?8? year old

    "At 5 I got saved because I just wanted more of life." - the same ?8? year old

    "You go into Palestine and they're taking their kids to camp like we take our kids to Bible camps and they're putting hand grenades in their hands."

    "We're being trained to be God's army."

    "Raise up righteous judges."
    - Adult on stage
    "Righteous judges, righteous judges." -Crowd of kids below him, arms up, chanting

    "There's a new church like this every 2 days in America."

    "End of the wooooorld...end of the woooooorld."

    "This means war! This means war! Are you a part of it or not?"
According to the film's website and my own search at the 4 area theaters, Jesus Camp is not currently showing and won't be in the area any time soon.

I'd like to keep my eye on this and watch it on DVD with some people when it becomes available. Who's in?


| , , , |

3 Comments:

At Tue Oct 10, 10:58:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Jillian Frank said...

Sorry, sweetie. I definitly will not partake of that viewing. The very thought of these types of camps makes me want to vomit (and yes, I'm sure that isn't just the morning sickness acting up again).

(=

 
At Thu Oct 12, 11:23:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Scott Bader-Saye said...

Wow. These things actually exist?? I was hoping it was a satire, but it's almost impossible to satirize something that is already beyond the pale. I wonder if this is how the Hitler Youth program began??

 
At Thu Oct 12, 01:48:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger demery said...

I'm in. Gotta know what we're up against. Thanks for the heads up, Josh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home